Glowire, which I would use for the shoulders, hood, and wrists. I would change as little about the costume as possible, but I wasn't going to have giant, bulky gloves. I ended up opting for no gloves and I embellished on the cuffs of the robe. Finally, I made the choice to do whatever it took to ensure those shoulders would allow arm movement. My costume from last year basically pinned my arms to my sides.
I added red cloth to the bottom. Super glue worked well for this. Also, I put a layer of fiberglass along the inside of the bottom section. I left the fiberglass to set overnight in a form to hold the shape I wanted. Throughout the process, the shoulderpads remained light, yet somewhat durable.
Same shoulderpad + spikes.
I ran glowire in and out of the shoulder pads to match the shape of the lava and the "runes" along the bottom section. The glowire process included a lot of soldering and super glue. Also, I sewed pockets into my robe. The left pocket had a hole in the back that let my glowire circuits in. I had all the sires sewn into the robe on the inside and down to that pocket. This let me change the 9V batteries and turn the circuits on and off easily.
PAX East was a lot of fun. We met some great people and I got to fight a monster from Bioshock Infinite.
I also polymorphed Mike.